Blogs > The Life of an Intern

The official News-Herald Intern blog.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Visit to Kids-TALK Advocacy Center


Visit to Kids-TALK Advocacy Center

Last week, I went to the Kids-Talk Advocacy Center located in Detroit.

The Kids-TALK Advocacy Center is part of the Youth Services offered by the Guidance Center, a non-profit agency in Southgate. The Center provides children ages 2-17 with counseling for sexual and emotional abuse as well as handling the forensic interviews that take place with abuse cases.

The director of Children Behavioral Health, Laura Huot, was clearly passionate about her work. She went out of her way to show me around the house that made up the center on Ferry St. She explained the entire process beginning with when the child walks in the front door. I was able to take pictures and see for myself what the waiting, conference and therapy rooms looked like.

I’m glad I went there instead of just talking to the director over the phone. It’s easier to understand something you have seen. And you can’t write properly on a subject you don’t understand. Having seen the center and given a thorough tour, I felt fully informed and believe I wrote a better story.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home